Friday, April 13, 2007

Very Funny, God...

I apologize in advance for how melodramatic this is all going to seem, but I really can't do anything about it. Anywho, I've always been really active in church. I've probably even been too active to some degree; that changed when Matthew was born. I knew it would change, that's natural when there's a new baby in the picture. Not that I'm making excuses, but I really couldn't have involved the was I used to be. With Matthew being vulnerable to infections and whatnot, his pediatrician has drilled into our heads that he doesn't need to be in daycare or a nursery until he's at least one.

May 11 is just around the corner so I decided it was time to get off my butt and do something at Bethel. I've been telling myself for the last year that I would join choir as soon as I was able, but I've been dreading it. This may sound strange, but I've become shy and joining choir would mean that I have to interact with lots of new people. Sure, I already talk to most of the choir members from time to time, but I don't "know" them. I need to "know" them and it's going to really drag me out of my newly-found comfort zone to get to "know" them. In my year of inactivity, I've really become a hermit. I had finally psyched myself up to join choir and stop sitting the bench. I've never been a bench-warmer at church (I did children's ministry for five years and have been in choir since I was fourteen.), but I've been getting dangerously comfortable with my new position.

Anyway, I finally got up the nerve to do join choir and put Matthew in the nursery (that's a story in itself) and I drove across the street after youth service. I walk into the sanctuary and everyone is gone. It turns out they took the night off. I had good intentions. Maybe next week...