Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Life Lessons from Harry Potter- Part 2

Facing our Fears and the Unknown

“There was no point in worrying yet.... what would come, would come... and he would have to meet it when it did." I’m a worrier-I know I shouldn’t be, but it’s something I have to fight in my genetic makeup- and this quote speaks to me. In the story, this line shows up as Harry has just realized the massive mission and dangers that lie ahead for him. Even though we don’t all have life-threatening missions in store for us, we do have things in our lives that we dread. This is a reminder that we have to accept that these things will have to be faced at some point or another and that dwelling on them won’t make them any easier to face.

To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. Some people fear death above all else. As a child of God, even though I don’t fully understand death, I do know that death in this life is just the beginning of an amazing eternity and an adventure unlike anything we can fathom.

“It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.” I could be wrong, but most of us don’t really have “enemies” so I just appreciate that this quote points out that we must occasionally confront those we love the most, and that’s usually an incredibly difficult thing to do.

No comments: