Friday, August 7, 2009

Happy Peter Gibbons Liberation Day!


Well, this is it. Peter Gibbons Liberation Day has arrived and there's something beautiful in the air today. I can't really describe it, but there's just something about knowing that after 5 PM today, I will no longer be worrying about databases, invoices, coordinating tours, scheduling meetings, or dealing with the dementor that escaped from Azkaban when the Death Eaters were back in full force (that's a complex metaphor, in case you can't tell).

I didn't wear my Hawaiian shirt today, nor did I bring a fish to gut on my desk, but, in honor of Peter Gibbons and all of you who feel like one more day at your Initech could be the very thing to drive you up the wall, I'm just not gonna go anymore! I'm staying home with Matthew and concentrating my efforts on being the best wife and mommy I can be for my family!

In honor of Peter (and all of you who feel oppressed by your Office Space), here's one of my favorite interactions from the movie:

1. Peter Gibbons: The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

Bob Porter: Don't... don't care?

Peter Gibbons: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my a** off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime, so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now.

Bob Slydell: I beg your pardon?

Peter Gibbons: Eight bosses.

Bob Slydell: Eight?

Peter Gibbons: Eight, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

May 5 PM come quickly! :)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Great quotes! I DO love that movie. It's just awesome.