Friday, February 19, 2010

Twilight: A Phenomenon?


Okay, so I cannot by any means call myself a Twilight expert or anything even close to it, but I have serious issues with the movie. Keep in mind, I've only read the first of the books and seen the first movie, but this is yet another instance where the movie is such a failure in comparison to the book. Maybe that's harsh, but I am really struggling to call the movies a "phenomenon." In fact, I don't even understand how anyone who read the book can actually like the movie. It's too different and I can't understand why it had to be so different.

I really was never interested in reading the books, but James bought the first one last weekend. He specifically bought it because of some conversation in the youth ministry circles regarding the themes in the book and wanted to check them out for himself. He hasn't read it yet, so I can't really even discuss my theme-related thoughts with him yet, but despite what I was expecting to find, the book itself was good. It was an easy read-a lot more light-hearted than the Scarpetta books I've been reading for the last six months- and I even caught myself seeing good old Edward Cullen differently than I expected. In fact, I think the Edward Cullen charachter is by far the most endearing thing involved. Without Edward, it would be just another high school love story. Stephenie Meyer truly did hit gold when she created him.

On that note, Robert Pattinson is the only reason the movie wasn't a complete disappointment for me. He is the perfect face for Edward Cullen, but I can't say that about any of the other characters. I'm not sure if the screenplay just wasn't what it should have been, but all of the other main characters in the movie left me completely blank. None of them brought life to those characters ... and they could have been so much more. They were so much more defined in the book and the characters/actors in the movie just don't do the book justice.

So, to sum it all up, the movie is okay, but I really feel like it's been built up way too much. The only reason I'll keep watching is to see Robert Pattinson's portrayal of Edward. The book was good enough that I'm very eager to read the next one. I'm still not sure that I'm ready to jump on the bandwagon and call this a phenomenon, though.

No comments: