Friday, June 18, 2010

Why I need Harry & Edward in my literary world


Since last spring, I've mainly read lots of the same thing: the entire Harry Potter series (in a month and a half), the Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell, the Twilight Saga, and the Notebook. Other than that, there have only been a few random books along the way. It doesn't sound like much, but when you consider that there are seven HP books, seventeen Scarpetta books, and four Twilight books, it adds up to much more... especially when you consider all of these have an average of 500/600 pages.

Anyway, with that said, it's not a secret that I'm all about some Harry Potter and love those Cullens. Some folks look at that and can be critical (for various different reasons), and sometimes they make me feel like I owe some explanation for what I read. I've got 20 pages left of The Notebook and, although I can acknowledge that it's a good story, it doesn't take me away from reality at all. I've found myself sobbing multiple times, because it's just so heartbreakingly real. There are way too many similarities between Noah and Allie and James and myself... way too many.

As for the Scarpetta books, they're really good, but they don't help you escape this world at all. The main character, Kay Scarpetta is a medical examiner; these stories focus on different crimes and capturing the evil people who committed them. I got to where I couldn't read the Scarpetta books too close to bedtime; if I did, I would have nightmares. Let's face it, we can't make it through a single 30 minute newscast without being reminded of how many evils there are in this world.

So, that my friends is why I need Harry and Hogwartz. There's good versus evil, but it's just not real. It's so captivating and magical, but it's NOT REAL!!!! That's why I need Edward, not so much Bella, but boy do I need Edward. He's everything a fiction man should be, but He's not real either and neither is anything else in Twilight. It's nice to leave reality for 30 minutes or an hour here and there escape to places that don't exist. It's what books are all about. From the time I was a kid reading about a town called Chewandswallow, to exploring Narnia with the Pevensies (although Narnia is more real than most care to admit), I love the fact that authors can take all the elements of reality and transform them into a magical story that you keeps you coming back. That's what books are all about.
While I loved reading the Scarpetta series and always felt I was in the backseat of Marino's squad car listening to him and Kay figure it out, it's not exactly an escape. I love the Notebook and will keep reading Nicholas Sparks' books, just for the sake of trying new things, but I'm on page 180 of 200, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a box of tissues for the last 20 pages.
Anyway, that's why I'm thankful for Harry Potter, Ron Weasly, and Hermoine Granger; that's why I'm thankful for all of those spectacular Cullens. They take me away; that's what books are supposed to do. With that said, I love my life and am so thankful for James, Matthew, and all the folks in it. I'm thankful for God's bountiful blessings in my life... it's not my life I'm escaping from when I read; it's just a temporary break from the world that surrounds us.

No comments: