Saturday, October 27, 2012

30 Days of Authenticity-Day 19: Trust Issues


Why is it so hard to really trust God?  Why do we worry and worry about something, pray about it, and then keep worrying?  I've been guilty of that way too many times before.  I've told others before that I was raised to be a worrier, so having authentic trust is against everything I ever saw modeled in my childhood and teen years.  Letting go and letting God is something that takes discipline for me.  (Please allow me to chuckle for a moment.  I'll never see "let go and let God" and not think of a Joe scene from Madea's Family Reunion.  "Let go and let God" took on a whole new meaning there.)  Anyway, it's not easy to truly let go when you're so inclined to worrying.  I'm not completely a rehabbed worrier now, but I'm doing much better. 
 
I've seen God work in so many situations in my life.  Time and time again, He has been there in ways I don't deserve.  It's strange though.  Even though I've seen Him do amazing things over and over again, sometimes I'll earnestly pray, yet remind myself that it's possible that He will choose to not work in the way that I've asked.  I've been known to fall back and rely on that "it may not be His will" cliche.  Am I alone here?  It's not that I believe that He can't do what I need, but I decide that He might not.  Maybe I've listened to that old Garth Brooks song too many times; there's no denying that sometimes the things we want most are far from what we need. 
 
Today, however, I'm not afraid to ask.  I'm don't add the "it may not be His will for me" postscript once I've prayed.  A couple years ago, I heard author Liz Curtis Higgs speak.  I honestly don't even remember where this statement tied into her message that day, but I've carried these words with me ever since.  It's not overly profound, but it was so perfect that I'll never forget it.   Are you ready for it? 
 
"I can trust God to be faithful every time."
 
I have written those words on my heart and let them change the way I pray.  I've let go of my "God might not..." clause and decided that I'm going to trust Him and depend on Him to be faithful every single time now.  It's been nothing short of rejuvenating.  You should try it if you've had trust issues too.  Remember, people will fail us.  After all, you can only expect so much from human nature.  God, however, is God.  He's the Alpha and Omega.  He's our Sustainer and Provider, our Healer and Deliverer.  He's our Ever-present Help.  He doesn't fail.  He simply cannot. 
 
I've learned since then to be aware of the Holy Spirit's guidance.  I've learned to fully depend on that intercession mentioned in Romans 8:26-27.  I think that makes the difference.  I think trusting the intercession makes all the difference and just believing in general.  Why did I ever think it was okay to give something to God and then take it right back?  I can trust Him every time!  When I take it back, it's more so that I've decided to share it with him, rather give it to Him.  Giving my needs to Him-and not taking them back- shows that I acknowledge that only He is big enough to handle it.  If I take it back, I'm telling God He's not able.  That's why we've all got to trust Him and leave it on the alter. 
 
Here are a few scriptures that have helped me with my "trust issues." Maybe there's something here for you too:
 
"You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting rock." ~Isaiah 26:3-4
 
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths." ~Proverbs 3:5-6
 
"When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me?" ~Psalm 56:3-4
 
"And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith. ~Matthew 21:22
 
Psalm 91 and Matthew 6:25:34 are also passages I turn to when I need a gentle reminder that I can trust Him every time.  I encourage you to dive in and let them ease your worries the next time you're having some trust issues.  Remember that you too can-and should- count on Him to be faithful every time.  What a promise! Let's hold on to that promise together.  If we're going to be authentic, then we've got to be able to truly let go and let Him work. 
 
 
 

No comments: