Friday, November 2, 2012

30 Days of Authenticity-Day 25: Purpose

"You are certainly under the guidance of the Holy Ghost or you wouldn't have come to where you now are." ~C.S. Lewis

Many of the things we've discussed in our Authenticity Journey are the very culmination of today's topic.  Today, we're talking about purpose. We hear the term thrown around a lot, but we sometimes we don't consider what having purpose really means for us.  If you are a fellow believer, you've probably heard many times that God loves you and has a plan for your life. Sounds a little cliché, right? That phrase may be "overused," I suppose, but the promise can't get lost in the phrase. God loves us with an unequivocal, unfathomable love. I believe it because I feel it every moment of my life. It is what drives me, sustains me, gives me clarity, and gives me worth. With that amazing love comes purpose. I'm so honored and humbled to know that God uses me. I'm imperfect, I'm flawed, I have hang-ups, I fail, and fall, but God uses me anyway because He has plans for my life.

"The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps." ~Proverbs 16:9
 
 "In Him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will." ~Ephesians 1:11
 
"You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, He may give it to you.
~John 15:16

We see lots of passages in God's Word that tell us we are here for something important.  We're not just roaming around this earth for no reason at all.  However, we have to keep in mind that purpose doesn't just fall into our laps.  Our last passage to look at today is Jeremiah 29:11-13. Verse 11 is labeled by many as the ultimate verse for purpose, while verses 12-13 are often left out.   We have to seek God and we can't seek Him without personal Bible study or communication with Him.  Sitting in a church for a few hours each Sunday isn't enough; if we want to have the peace that comes along with purpose, we have to pursue God. 
 
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.'"
~Jeremiah 29:11-13
 
I love knowing that God has plans for me and I love knowing that these plans weren't just mapped out yesterday.   He has purpose for me --this girl who was born and raised in Alabama, who  walked to church as a child. He had purpose in my after school job --to lead me to my husband. He had purpose in my ministry. He  established those steps for a reason and he continues to do so each day of my life. I know the key is truly seeking Him, trying my best to know Him more each day, and doing the best I can to live authentically.

I love to look back at the seasons of my life and see how God has used my past to orchestrate my present and my future. I love seeing how He uses this mess that I've been --and often am-- to keep me moving forward and working for Him. Purpose is a wonderful thing: it gives me accountability, inspiration, and a reason to keep going when it seems overwhelming. Thank you God for using my life and giving me purpose!

No comments: