Friday, November 30, 2012

For My Birthday Girl

Dear Precious Lucy,

You're laying in my lap as I write this. You're only still like this when you're asleep. We joke all the time about how busy you are. You really are something!  This time one year ago, I remember being so frustrated. We all were surprised that you were taking your time to join us. I had been at the hospital all day long!  I was trying so hard to deliver you without medication... I wanted so badly to have you naturally. I was doing fine, but I remember my biggest struggle was not knowing how much longer you would be.

But then you surprised us. As soon as we sent everyone home and accepted that you probably weren't going to arrive until the next morning, you decided it was time. At 12:22 AM, you joined us. I did it without that epidural, just like I wanted! It wasn't easy, but you were worth every minute of it. I'd do it the same way a thousand times. There's nothing I'd change. You were worth every contraction, every caffeinated coffee I skipped, and every meal I threw up. You were worth it all.

There's this saying: Let her sleep, for when she wakes she'll move mountains. I think the initial quote is a political reference, but I've seen it on many nursery items. I've adopted it for you. It captures everything about you. I don't know exactly what God has in store for you, Baby Girl, but I know that you are here to move mountains. It may take time to learn what those mountains are, but you have purpose here already.

There are two main themes that we tried to speak into your life before you were even born: the importance of faith and your privilege to be a light for all who see you.  You will be reminded a million times that you were named after two amazing examples of faith, one real- Hannah (mother of Samuel) - and one fictional- Lucy Pevensie (The Chronicles of Narnia). I can't wait to share their stories with you! I can't wait to show why faith is so vital to us as followers of Christ!

Faith is important, but we can't forget light. Your name, Lucy, means light. It's only fitting that your life verse should be Matthew 5:14-16:

"You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." 
 
We are called to be a light to the world. My prayer is that we can be a light for you and teach you to do the same for others.

Your first birthday is only minutes away. Later in the day, we'll gather with family and friends to celebrate you. We'll eat cupcakes (I baked 48 of them today!) and watch you dive into vanilla cake with whipped frosting. We'll watch you open gifts and get excited about Elmo, Minnie Mouse, or whatever catches your eye. We're going to have a good time loving on you and watching you smile.

In closing, know that your Daddy loves you so much. You have him wrapped around those sassy fingers. Your brother loves and adores you in every possible way. He will do anything to protect you and make you smile. I love you too, Lucy, more than words can say. I cherish you. When your mountains seem overwhelming, know that I'll always be here to help you. Lastly, it's hard for me to fathom because of the depth of our love for you, but our Father God loves you even more than we do. We'll do all we can to show you that love. You are loved more than you'll ever know!

For now, sleep tight. Tomorrow is going to be a busy, but fun day. Happy Birthday Lucy Girl! This world is better because you're in it!

With all my love,
Mommy

1 comment:

BestBuzz GetBuzzed said...

Looking for something fun to do with the family? Check out the Raytheon MathAlive! Exhibit now through February 3rd 2013 at the Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville, Al. Enjoy a fun interactive and immiscible experience that will bring to life the math at work in the world. To learn more click here bit.ly/MathAlive

Also learn how you can enter 2 win a free limited edition MathAlive! Skateboard!!!