Tuesday, August 27, 2013

3rd Grade, We're here!


I can't exactly say that we had an official Back to School Day or 1st Day of 3rd Grade.  We're pretty much always in school and there's often not a defining end of one grade and start of another.  That doesn't mean The Boy and I haven't been excited about starting 3rd Grade.  After all, these are exciting times.  He has grasped some pretty important educational foundations over the last couple of years and it's cool to see those becoming a part of his everyday life.  It's also great because we can now build on these foundations and explore lots of new things. 



With that said, I knew I needed to make some curriculum changes this year.  I get asked fairly often what curriculum we use, but it's not an easy or quick answer.  At no point have I ever used only one curriculum or publisher throughout a homeschooling year.  Even though we've been homeschooling since 2009, I'm still learning too. I'm always looking for ways to expand and improve. There's a lot of thought that goes into lesson planning, just like any school environment. It took a couple of months to shop around, but I'm really happy with our materials for 3rd Grade.  Keep in mind that I always use Rebecca Rupp's Home Learning Year by Year as a guide for what we should cover each year. I build my lesson plans around this book each year.  I also use portions of the What Your Child Needs to Know series for each grade.  Both of these have been great in helping me decide what to look for when choosing materials. 

The next few posts will show you what we're using and why.  Hopefully someone will find it helpful. 

No comments: