Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Shutdowns, and Opinions, and Hatefulness, Oh my!

There's so much swirling around today amidst this government shutdown. So much nastiness. So much snarkiness. So many folks spouting off who is to blame. So many fingers being pointed at this political party or that one. As I read my social media feeds, I'm getting a mental image of that scene in Ghostbusters when NYC is in complete chaos and the Stay Puft  Marshmallow Man is roaming the streets. That's Ghostbusters, right? Either way, that's the feel of my feeds right now.

I've been tempted -multiple times- to join in and provide a doubly snarky remark to some of these "remember this when the next election rolls around" posts. There have been too many of them. I've not been short at all on responses to "Where are all the _______ voters now?" Oh boy, it's so easy to get nasty when politics is on the table.

I'm glad I haven't let my fingers get ahead of my brain today. I'm not generally a confrontational person, but it's been tough avoiding debates today. I had a moment early this morning -like 3 AM-ish (not to be confused with Amish)- where I stopped and let God quiet my spirit. I let him wash over me and give me the reasons *not* to respond to the ugly remarks.

First, it was definitely a Psalm 46 thing. I was feeling the words "be still and know that I am God" hush me. Being still in this case really meant being quiet. I know it's hard to believe there was that much fuss at 3 AM, but there was. I was only reading so I could keep myself awake long enough to get Prissy back to sleep. (Note: if I'm on any kind of social media at 3 AM, it's because I'm getting Prissy back to sleep.) I was stunned by how many other people were up...and so worked up! There was already plenty to respond to, but the Lord told me to be still.

He also brought to mind that my responses wouldn't have helped anything. Witty and perhaps more cutting than the initial posts, my comments wouldn't change a thing for those with different political views. Why bother "setting the record straight" when it would do nothing more than cause a greater divide? I think we can all agree that there's a gigantic divide among all political parties right now and anyone claiming affiliation with them.

I say all of that to say this: God is still on the throne. Our God is greater than this nation he gave us and has always been greater than this nation. Even though this country seems to turn away from him a little more every day, our God is still on the throne. He knows his people and he's here. I certainly don't mean to compare us to the physically enslaved Israelites, but my personal Bible reading has been in Exodus and Leviticus lately. Although we are not actual Israelites, we are still his children and this is all going to be okay. Just maybe we're seeing that the government itself had become a bit of an idol. Just maybe he's "letting" this happen because we told him to stay out of our government years ago. There's no better time for us to run back to his loving arms, tell him how sorry we are, and ask for the forgiveness and guidance that's been waiting for us this whole time. The time is now to take your country back.


"The LORD your God is in your midst,
a mighty one who will save;
he will rejoice over you with gladness;
he will quiet you by his love;
he will exult over you with loud singing."
~Zephaniah 3:17

No comments: